Pages

Followers

Monday, September 13, 2010

The Nekid Fisherman

The Nekid Fisherman

Yes, that’s really my moniker. I chose it in honor of all the awkward and embarrassing moments I (and most of you, I’m sure) have had while in search of outdoor adventure. Like my friend, Joel, discovered while trying to run and pull his pants up at the same time. Our fishing trip to Alaska became more memorable for Joel when an Alaskan Brown bear chased him off the, er, “outdoor latrine.” It seems the bear wasn’t interested in Joel, but in the, er, “outdoor latrine.” It didn’t do much for Joel’s self-esteem to appear to be running away from a bear while his four other camp mates laughed their heads off. Chalk one up for a “nekid fisherman!”

Joel wasn’t the first, nor will he be the last, to have a “nekid fisherman” experience. Dave and his friends experienced theirs while fishing some high mountain lakes in the Uinta Mountains in Utah. The fish were rising to a great hatch, but they were out just beyond casting distance. And since Dave and his nature-loving buddies hadn’t brought waders or float tubes, they decided to wade “au naturel” in order to reach the hatch.

Now it’s important to keep in mind that Dave and his friends were experienced and thoughtful about their outdoor experiences. That’s why they knew they did not want to hike back to camp in wet clothes (you see how the human mind can justify aberrant behavior?). So they simply stripped and waded.

If you haven’t been fortunate enough to be in the Uintas in June, you can only use your imagination: think of wading in your deep freezer. On your knees. Naked. What Dave found out is that embarrassment quickly turns to laughter when, well, there isn’t much to see ( if you get my drift). Even the biggest guy gets brought down to size by such an experience (if you still get my drift). Chalk up another one for a nekid fisherman.

From the annals of my own nekid fisherman experience (and would it help to say I was much younger and not as wise when this occurred?): never, Never, NEVER sit down in poison ivy after you come out of the river naked. Never. Enough said.

I’ve earned enough stripes and scars to qualify as your official Nekid Fisherman writer. I hope you’ll enjoy my comments and insights; I know I’d love to hear yours–especially your “nekid fisherman” experiences. Send them to

0 comments:

Post a Comment